How to grow your business (faster) from your Zone of Genius
I've got two question for you,
1. ✔︎ Do you work IN your Zone of Genius (where you what you were born to do - with ease and joy)
2 ✔︎ Are you embodying your Zone of Genius (where people FEEL that you are the one for them, and gladly pay for it.)
Hold on. Let me explain.
Because this is not something that you can answer with a quick Yes or No (or an annoyed: Jeezzz, I don't know, leave me alone - I'm a mother of a teenage son, so I hear that a lot. :-)
Let me give you an example that will help you understand your Zone of Genius
Somewhere, in early 2000, I was in charge of a large Next Level European Design and Usability project. I flew between Amsterdam, Milano, London, Vienna, Sienna, and Barcelona, and had to make sure that all those Big Design Ego's were properly connected.
My issue was that I loved the project, but when it came to complicated theory I was lost. Sometimes I had NO idea what they were talking about.
So one day I found myself in a fancy hotel in Sitges, near Barcelona, surrounded by design people, who were all talking design, interfaces, usability. And I felt horribly inept (and stupid).
But after an hour of nodding and looking like I understood why the interface of a self-loading robot should be connected to the construction shield 🤖 😕 I thought: "You know what? I'm going to stop pretending. I just don't understand what they are talking about."
So I sat on a comfy chair in my black skirt, with my legs tugged under me, and started to observe all the shop talk. And low and behold, within minutes people came to me and started having personal and intimate discussions. About feelings, relationships, dreams, desires, and doubts.
They were connecting from the heart. In the middle of all the 'Knowledge Sharing,' a wonderful island of softness arose around me.
That evening 3 different people approached me and told me how much they like being around my wisdom. One of the women told me: "I observed you from afar and I saw a truly wise woman."
So, now you might think: "She must have liked that".
But in reality, I was horrified. Me? Wise Woman? Like an OLD Ugly Wise Woman? I want to be beautiful and sexy and smarter than anyone else. I want to be that theoretical uber smart super brain.
I had NO idea how to handle these compliments. All I saw was something I refused to be. I had no idea that I was working outside my Zone of Genius
Yet, they kept coming.
In the middle of a Marketing Training for Professionals in the Arts in freezing Tbilisi, Georgia [only light from 10 AM to 1 PM, no heating, still soldiers everywhere] one of the professionals from the United Kingdom - wearing three layers of coats to stay warm - sighed: "I'm so happy you are here. You are a beacon of light in a sea of chaos."
And I thought: "Seriously? That again?" Why am I never the uber smart one?
It took me a long time to step into my true Zone of Genius [and I'm often still battling with that] but I know that when I embrace and embody my inner wise woman it always leads to transformation and to light, yes, even in a sea of chaos.
So dear friend, I invite you to find your Zone of Genius as well and embrace who you really are.
What is the Zone of Genius?
In our programs - like the Brave Leap - we use the Zone of Genius all the time, we have several workbooks and chapters that are only about the Zone of Genius.
As you can see there are 4 Zones:
Zone of Genius, Zone of Excellence, Zone Competence or Zone of Incompetence
► Your Zone of Genius is where everything is so easy, that you can't believe people will pay you for it.
► Your Zone of Excellence is where you do the things you're good at (and that you might misjudge as your Zone of Genius)
► Your Zone of Competence is all the things you know about but somehow it slips, you have to grind and hustle, it just doesn't feel smooth and easy
► Your Zone of Incompetence is all the things you're just not good at (even though you might want to be good at it)
Here's an example of my Zone's of Genius, Excellence or Competence or Incompetence
1. Transformational soul connecting shifting coaching. Wake me up in the middle of the night and I can coach you (bring tea or coffee and I'm there for you. It's like a light goes on.
2. Strategy and seeing all possible outcome to business, branding and marketing issues, as well as what possible for my clients. Give me your problem and I give you all the steps. It's annoyingly easy for me.
3. Talking to source or whispering to souls, I connect and the download happens instantly (again almost annoyingly easy)
Organize everything, communications, publicity, it's all really easy BUT (and this is where the multi-passionates need to listen) I'm also bored with it after a couple of months (or weeks, whereas I'm NEVER bored with anything in my Zone of Genius)
Doing Facebook ads, understanding complex matter, driving, sport, cleaning., etc. I can do it, but it's never easy and I keep have to learn it.
Making appointments (I'm so bad at this) cooking (too many things happening at the same time) explaining things that are in my Zone of Competence. If you ever worked with me and you watched me trying to explain Facebook ads, you know this :-)
WHY IS IS SUPER IMPORTANT THAT YOU WORK FROM YOUR ZONE OF GENIUS?
1. Here's the thing, when you're a people pleaser (raising my hand) or a perfectionist (raising my hand) or suffer from imposter syndrome (raising two hands) it's super easy to do what you THINK you should do.
2. All the Do This and Not That business and marketing tricks and treats in the online world will drag you away from what you're naturally good at. When you always try to follow what's happening out there you constantly work outside your Zone of Genius, making money will be more challenging and your growth will slow down.
3. Yes, this is what we will help you with in the Brave Leap, but you can start with it now by taking the Free Quiz and see how you and your business are doing!
Do you want to talk with me about this? Use the message function on this page and I'm there for you!
All my love
Esther de Charon de Saint Germain
Transformational Business Coach and Self Love Advocate